Thursday, May 26, 2011

Unexpected Call

I walked in the front door and heard a buzzing on the floor. That's right, I left my phone behind. I almost let it go to voice mail but changed my mind. It was him! I frantically tried to answer the phone at the last second! Whew...saved!

He has been in basic training since Monday and today, Thursday, he was rewarded five minutes of phone time. What a blessing! I am hoping this means we will speak every week, but I have prepared myself for all scenarios. He told me about different documents I am about to receive in the mail and a letter he wrote. He told me basic was rough and that only thoughts of me and sheer determination were getting him through. Basic, of course, has several phases and he has only just begun the worst of it. Phase I runs for the first three weeks, and focuses on the discipline of the individual. I know it will get better soon, but where he is he cannot see that. I let him do most of the talking, only asking short questions when I needed clarification. In the last thirty seconds someone in the background began counting and he became emotional. I got him through the last thirty seconds with words of love and encouragement and we mutually ended the call with three seconds to go, as to avoid trouble. I find my job as a wife to be even more important than I had previously thought it to be. I have been writing him everyday and my letters will never stop.

Memo: Keep cell phone on and glued to side at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment