Just when I thought I had said goodbye, the army surprises me again! I spoke to my husband for another hour on day three. We cut our conversation short so that another soldier, who did not bring his cell phone, could call his mother. Any contact from now until the end of basic training will be scarce and he will have to earn phone privileges.
When a recruit first arrives at post (s)he is assigned to a reception battalion. That’s where they get their uniform, vaccines, and that good looking “do”, which for men means bald as a cue ball. No, while we were on the phone he would not send a picture of himself. Instead, he had a few less than couth words to share on how he perceives the new look. Stay in a reception battalion could vary from days to weeks. Lucky for us he will be in the reception battalion for days, until Monday to be exact.
For the rest of the time in reception battalion the recruits will have dental and eye exams, take the initial physical assessment test, get some basic drill instruction, and prepare for basic training. If a recruit fails the physical assessment test (8.5 minute mile for men, 10.5 for women) or is injured then they can be held back and placed in Fitness Training Company, sometimes referred to as FAT CAMP. I just about rolled on the floor laughing when I thought about the possibility of my lanky husband ending up in fat camp and then fond memories of the movie Heavy Weights.
Another thing I learned and found interesting enough to share... In army basic training at least one person is up at all times, usually two recruits. The recruits trade watch in short one hour shifts. The responsibilities of watch include looking out for fires, patrolling the barracks, insuring security and responding to any and all situations that may arise while the others are asleep. This is called Fire Guard. Fire Guard originated in the days of wood-burning stoves and is less practical and more of an exercise in discipline today. My recruit lucked out of being on watch his first night.
I eagerly anticipate my next phone call! Until then I will just have to share with you the life of the wife.
No comments:
Post a Comment