Wednesday, May 18, 2011

His Last Day


I had plans for my husband’s last day as a civilian that would put all others to shame! Yet, when I woke up that morning the baby was already at day care and my husband was preparing the bath for me. Throughout the day I tried to take over, without dazzling success. It turned into the most normal day ever. If anything, I was catered to. My husband laughed at how I had tried to persuade him to give into the “best day ever”, cupped my face in his hands and said:

“My life is not made of those things. I’m not going to miss the 'best day ever'. I’m going to miss the everyday. My life is you and the baby, dirty diapers, doing laundry, holding you while we watch a movie at home…that’s what I will miss. I want for my last day to be as normal as possible.” {paraphrased}

Dirty diapers, eh… You can bet after that comment I allowed him the sole privilege of diaper duty for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment