I married my best friend and there is no substitute with him gone. Not that anyone is jumping at the chance to offer companionship or support. Everyone says the way to get through this separation is to keep busy. Trust me, I am busy and I do not think that it is the magical answer. I think moments of rest are what I need. The people who previously offered help remain far off, cheering me on from a distance. I think they are afraid if they get too close they will have committed themselves to a “cause”. They could be right depending on your view of the matter. I am probably not going to ask people over…eat well…or bathe for a while… I am sure we have all been in that place at some time. If you haven’t had that experience, you will someday. Share some of that TLC!
How can you aid the family of a soldier?
Make a list of things you can do to aid the family of a soldier. Can you cook? Babysit? List about three skills you can offer or errands you can run. If you cannot even imagine what they may be needing at this time make a courtesy call and ask what they would appreciate your help in doing. Realize that they may be reluctant and need time or they may be hurting for help and accept right away.
Here is a simple list of things you may do for a family or loved one of a soldier who has stayed behind:
*Cook Dinner (Where are those casserole ladies?)
* Groceries (At the store? Call to see if they need anything. You never know if the children are being rationed toaster strudels or if the toilet paper is on its last leaf. These things can get away from mom’s brain during times like these.)
*TAKE the Kids! (The kids are well rested but what about mom? Someone acting as nap nanny would be greatly appreciated, mommy needs her rest too.)
*House Calls (Just hop in the car and go. Call when you are almost there so that mommy will be dressed.)
*Give Them Your Card (This is sort of the rain check option on your offer to help.)
No comments:
Post a Comment